Hardware Disease in Cattle - Symptoms & Treatments
Hardware disease in cattle is something farms often suffer with.
What is hardware disease in cattle?
• When a cow ingests a heavy and sharp piece of metal.
• The metal falls into the rumen and is then pushed into the reticulum.
• Contractions in the reticulum cause the piece to go into the peritoneal cavity causing inflammation to occur.
What are the signs of hardware disease?
• Depending on how the object penetrates the cavity the signs will vary.
• Common signs:
◦ No appetite
◦ Arched back
◦ Don't want to walk
◦ Making a “grunting” noise when forced to walk
How can you diagnosis hardware?
• Can make by visually watching the cow for the signs.
• You can do a test called the “Withers Test”.
◦ Push down on the backbone of the cow right behind the withers.
◦ If they make a grunting noise it is usually hardware disease.
How to treat hardware disease?
• Most common treatment plan for hardware disease in cattle is giving the cow a magnet that goes into her first stomach and then goes into the reticulum.
Some prevention methods?
• Monitor the feed for foreign bodies.
• Put magnets in feed augers.
Hardware disease can cause a lot of problems with your cows. Prevention can be hard to do but if you have signs of hardware treat with a magnet right away before it gets to bad. Try out the silver star magnet the next time you have hardware in your cattle.
Buy Today for $1.99
Silver Star Magnet
Helps Hardware Disease in Cattle.