Natural Remedies for Acne
What can be frustrating to a teenager, more than even constant naggings from parents and overwhelming school routines? There is only one thing, a size of a pinhead that is completely capable of crumbling the delicate balance of a teenager’s vibrant world. Yes, of course it is acne! Read on to learn more about natural remedies for acne!
Acne, commonly known as pimples or zits, is a condition that occurs when the skin pores get clogged for some reason. The term Acne includes white heads, black heads, red bumps called papules and pustules. Even though teenagers universally suffer from acne, many adults suffer from this problem as well.
Why does acne occur?
Skin has innumerable pores, and each pore opens to a hair follicle and an oil gland. Oils secreted by these glands keep the skin soft and supple. But if the glands produce too much oil, there is a chance of pores getting clogged by bacteria, build up dirt and dead cells. As a result acne occurs, causing pain, infection and swelling. There could be other factors also triggering acne, such as hormonal changes or using hormonal supplements; following intense exercise routines involving high levels of perspiration or diets involving too much of refined sugar.
Natural Remedies for Acne:
Prescribed medication for acne is an option, but there are some natural remedies you could try at home, such as the following:
1. Ayurveda suggests chick pea powder to cleanse and clear the pores, and then applying a facial mask with a blend of almond powder and goat’s milk.
2. Putting a dab of sandalwood - turmeric cream* on acne is another effective remedy. However, it is advisable to use this cream in the nights before you go to bed as turmeric leaves a mild tinge of yellow on the skin.
3. Drinking a blend of cumin, coriander, fennel seeds* (under half a spoon each) in tea could be helpful. (*Available in Indian grocery stores)
4. Aroma therapy suggests tea tree and lavender essential oils. Read more about the benefits of aromatherapy and Essential Oils for Acne.
5. Naturopathy suggests drinking a blend of beet and carrot juices with water in a proportion of 1:3:2 as a natural cleanser to clear the complexion from inside out.
A few self-help tips when you have acne:
• Clean your face gently using mild non-drying soaps.
• Do not use oil based cosmetics as it may increase the breakouts.
• Wash your face every day at least twice, especially after work outs and sports.
• Avoid wearing hats and tight headbands, because it might trap the sweat and oils in your hair, causing skin breakouts and irritations.
• Shampoo your hair frequently if it is oily, and be sure to keep such hair off your face to avoid contact.
• Never pick on the pimples, as it could get infected.
• Consult your pharmacist before trying any over the counter treatments.
• Too much of sun exposure may be harmful, increasing the risks of skin cancer.
Acne is a natural condition calling for natural remedies. Unlike some cosmetics, natural remedies do not leave scars or side effects. You can get started today with our natural remedy for acne kit!
Try our Essential Oils for Acne Kit!