Healthy Skin & Coat for Pets
Is the spring already triggering allergies for your pet? If your dog is scratching more than usual and your cat is shedding like crazy, you have come to the right place. “Skin is the first defense, and it functions to protect the body from infection, caustic substances, ultra-violet light, dehydration and temperature extremes.” says Dr. Jeff Werber DVM. (prosensepet.com)
A healthy skin and coat is a reflection of healthy internal organ function and a strong immune system. There are several skin issues out there such as ticks, mites, fleas, dermatitis, dry skin, hot spots and other skin irritations that could pose health risks to your pet. That is why you need to keep a close watch on your pet’s skin and coat!
Major warning signs
- Bumps and rashes
- Reddening of skin
- Face rubbing
- Patches or complete hair loss
- Loose hair
- Flaky skin
- Open sores /lesions
We see our pets itching and scratching, thereby causing wounds to their bodies. The reason could be many, such as fleas, dermatitis, dry skin, hot spots or any other irritation. We do expose our pets to the outdoors more in spring and summer and they naturally pick-up parasites from the environment. Vetericyn Wound and Skin care helps fight infection and heals wound quickly. In addition to ticks there are other ectoparasites like Sarcoptic mange or Red mange that can cause severe itching and inflammation.
Senior dogs, puppies and dogs with poor immunity are vulnerable to skin conditions. Dr. Karen Becker from Mercola Pets suggests that under-grooming, under/ over-bathing, dietary deficiency and/or underlying medical issues allows a lot of dead skin accumulation in your pet’s coat, especially if it is a long haired breed.
- 1. Provide your pet, a high quality diet with a rich source of protein for nourishment.
- 2. Omega fatty acids help maintain a rich skin and coat for your pets. Shop here for PSC PETs Cod Liver oil.
- 3. Vitamins C, E, A, and Zinc are very essential to maintain a rich skin and coat. PSC PSC Pets Skin and Coat Soft Chews for dogs consists of omega fatty acids, biotin, zinc methionine and more vitamins and minerals and is a veterinarian formulated product designed to promote healthy skin and coat for pets.
- 4. Regular grooming will help remove the dead skin & hair cells and stimulate the general blood circulation for your pet.
- 5. Medicated dog shampoos are meant to soothe the itching / hot spots and minimize a dry and flaky coat. Vet's Best Hot Spot Shampoo is a soothing, non- alcohol shampoo that helps to heal hot spots, redness and other skin irritations. Vet's Best Natural Flea And Home Spray offers a natural formula to control flea.
- 6. Petalive Skin and Coat Tonic is a 100% herbal formula for your pets made with natural ingredients that has great skin benefits.
- 7. PSCPets Salmon Oil and CocoTherapy Organic Virgin Coconut Oil help improve your pet’s skin condition when added to the pet food; coconut oil may also be used topically on the sore spots.
- 8. Providing Tick and Flea protection ensures skin benefits to your pet. Frontline Plus for dogs / cats helps control ticks, fleas and chewing lice.
If your dog is experiencing constant skin issues, it is a good idea to consult your veterinarian. A healthy skin & coat is the highlight of your pet’s robust well-being. Make sure your pet is free from all skin problems when you enjoy that special game of Frisbee together.