Natural Remedies for Cough
Did you know 20,000 viruses are expelled every time a person coughs? (Reuters) Probably the instant thought that crosses your mind is how to avoid catching it. Covering your cough with a tissue and quickly getting rid of that germy tissue would be a great start.
An occasional cough is even healthy, as it helps to expel irritants from throat and airways. It is the body’s Natural defense mechanism against foreign material; however it could also be an indication for a developing infection or a serious illness. Productive cough produces phlegm that is extracted from the sinuses or from the lungs, and it would be easy to get rid of it by just spitting it out rather than allowing it to accumulate in the chest.
Cough may be classified as Acute and Chronic Cough. Acute cough usually lasts for a couple of weeks and is developed due to flu, cold or sinus infections. This may be controlled to some extent with cough suppressants. Chronic cough is like an unpleasant house guest almost impossible to get rid of. The reasons for chronic cough could vary from Allergic rhinosinusitis, Asthma, chronic bronchitis, cigarette smoking and many more factors.
Natural Remedies for Common Cough:
- 1. Drinking a lot of warm water during the illness, helps to wash away the mucus.
- 2. Ginger root has medicinal qualities that help to soothe sore throat and coughing. Drinking a glass of hot water boiled with half a spoon of ground black pepper, ginger shavings and honey would help soothe the sore throat and reduce coughing. Ginger lozenges or ginger tea may also help.
- 3. Tulsi commonly known as the Holy basil is a remarkable natural remedy for common cough. Take 5ml of fresh Tulsi juice with 10 ml of pure honey to treat common cough. The leaves may be chewed and consumed raw.
- 4. Drinking a glass of warm milk with pepper and a pinch of turmeric powder is an effective method to reduce the cough.
- 5. Salt water gargling is an effective method, to reduce the soreness of the throat, which will naturally reduce the cough.
- 6. Spoonful of Honey with a few drops of vodka/brandy could be tried on adults.
- 7. Mixing 5ml of onion juice with 10ml of pure honey makes a very effective natural remedy for cough and sore throat.
People who have not been vaccinated and those with poor immunity are more prone to cough and other respiratory infections. If you and your family are frequently coughing, may be it is time to take extra measures to improve your immune health.